apr-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <har...@covalent.net>
Subject apr_network_io
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:01:38 GMT
Not really yet, but I have more problems on how to use it.
Actually, the subject was wrong.

I also noticed the following:

1) From the apr_network_io.h file.
/**
 * Create apr_sockaddr_t from hostname, address family, and port.
 * @param sa The new apr_sockaddr_t.
 * @param hostname The hostname or numeric address string to resolve/parse.
 * @param family The address family to use, or APR_UNSPEC if the system
should
 *               decide.
 * @param port The port number.
 * @param flags Special processing flags.
 * @param p The pool for the apr_sockaddr_t and associated storage.
 */
APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_sockaddr_info_get(apr_sockaddr_t **sa,
                                          const char *hostname,
                                          apr_int32_t family,
                                          apr_port_t port,
                                          apr_int32_t flags,
                                          apr_pool_t *p);

This is a 'get' function where I believe it is more 'set'.

2) From apr_network_io.h file.
/**
 * Create a socket.
 * @param new_sock The new socket that has been set up.
 * @param family The address family of the socket (e.g., APR_INET).
 * @param type The type of the socket (e.g., SOCK_STREAM).
 * @param cont The pool to use
 */
APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_socket_create(apr_socket_t **new_sock,
                                            int family, int type,
                                            apr_pool_t *cont);

This function together with previous I see this as unfortenate where
you cannot have made the new_sock and sa can never be made outside these
functions.
In some cases it would be more easy to provide these variables already
without allocating them from a pool. Usage now is always now via a
pointer indirection which is not needed.

For instance, you could use the apr_network stuff in a 'big'-function
call where all variables are declared and not dynamically allocated.

Also this can now not being used in an environment where you do not
always have a apr_pool_t available.

Harrie

--On Wednesday, January 16, 2002 5:27 PM -0800 Ryan Bloom