apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/misc apr_rmm.c Makefile.in
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 07:25:04 GMT
Some quick credits where credit is due, thanks to David for his very thorough
beos/apr_shmem.c implementation (and to whomever inspired that code), for at
least a good outline and little reminders of structure... and to Aaron, Justin,
Sander and Ian for sounding boards.

And if you want to float ideas or discuss apr design... we'd all like to invite
you [again] to join us over at irc.openprojects.net, the #apr home hacking
channel :)  It really helped to coallesce some ideas [now open for discussion
and patching] before this was thrown out 1/2 thought out.

Warning to implementors; we will aquire a lock to go with this, and register
it with apr_rmm_init or apr_rmm_attach.  The first question; who is responsible
for creating the lock?

Some folks won't need locks at all (only the controlling process/thread would
ever alloc/dealloc.)  Some will need an intraprocess lock, since only the one
process (many of it's threads, however) will be messing with allocations.
And some will need full interprocess locks so everyone can get their fingers
dirty.

Since the actually apr_lock_t is location-process-dependent, we can't simply
throw the lock into the rmm memory space.  We need to pass in some descriptor
that apr_rmm_attach() can use to obtain it's own private copy of that same
lock.  Maybe it's time to look at an accessor API for serializing and
recomposing apr types, to pass from process to process [Win32 needs this,
very badly.]

And if you object to the name apr_rmm, be warned, most alternatives were
real groaners :)

Bill