apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Windows cgi problem
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:17:09 GMT
Ryan Bloom <rbb@covalent.net> writes:

> On Thursday 13 December 2001 11:02 am, Allan Edwards wrote:
> > This might also be a problem on unix but I haven't tested.
> > When cgi's are launched a window sometimes pops up, same for
> > mod_include "exec cgi". Is there a reason we are not
> > launching the cgi as a detached process?
>
> You definately do not want to detach on Unix, because if you do, the
> CGI script will end up forking three times.

yep... beyond that is the issue that detached on Win32 and detached on
Unix really mean different things...

what if we had a long-running-daemon attribute and a non-interactive
attribute (yeah, please come up with better names):

                 long-running-daemon                non-interactive

Win32        child doesn't get window         child doesn't get window
Unix         all the forks, setsid, whatever           no-op

(just a rough sketch, but you get the picture)

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...