apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr Makefile.in
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:59:23 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:17:34AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > Jeff Trawick <trawick@attglobal.net> writes:
> >
> > > I don't have a big problem with upgrading.  Somebody needs to figure
> > > out what libtool we really require now and go fix the version checking
> > > logic in buildconf.
> >
> > I take that back.  I have all sorts of failures on AIX (libtool 1.4.2)
> > this a.m. related to libtool.  I think we need to back this out for
> > now and put it back in when:
>
> Okay, it's reverted.  It was worth a shot.  =)

uhh, I trust it was by accident that you committed code without prior
discussion that used a feature that doesn't work on libtool < 1.4.? on
any platform ;)

> > 1) we know what libtool version is required and everybody has a chance
> >    to upgrade (or bug their sysops to upgrade)
>
> I believe at least libtool 1.4.  There are lots of reasons to require
> 1.4.2 (Mac OS X is only supported with 1.4.2).  This is just a developer
> requirement not an end-user requirement, so I think we could be fairly
> picky about our versions if we believe it'll give us a good value in
> the long-run.

no argument there

> > 2) people such as myself have at least some chance to debug why a
> >    supposedly good version of libtool can't deal with the new usage on
> >    a particular platform (e.g., AIX)
>
> Well, everything libtool says is DSO isn't supported on AIX.

I don't understand that statement.  Give me details.  Yeah, I think
libtool could do more of the work, but apparently there are various
projects which successfully use libtool for shared libraries on AIX.
There are several people hanging out on the libtool list which are
knowledgeable in both AIX shared libraries and libtool.  They seemed
surprised that we had problems with Apache.

>                                                                 We're
> trying our best to prove them wrong.  My guess is that the dependency
> generation is turned off since they "know" that AIX has no dependency
> support.  We will probably have to teach libtool about dependencies.

> Can you post the errors you were seeing?  I don't have AIX, but I
> can try doing research on it time permitting.  -- justin

The system refuses to load httpd because it doesn't know how to find
libaprutil.  I would guess that the library search path that libtool
records in the executable file is somehow hosed, but I have not had a
chance to look into it.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...