apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: gai_strerror not found on RH 5.2 (libc5?)
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 21:33:56 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> writes:

> I'm getting this when I try to build Apache 2.0.* on Red Hat
> Linux 5.2 (libc5, I think):
> /var/tmp/ap2-test/httpd-2.0/srclib/apr/.libs/libapr.so: undefined reference to `gai_strerror'
> make[2]: *** [htpasswd] Error 1

> On RH 6.2, gai_strerror() is in libc.a and libc_p.a.  The man pages
> indicate that gai_strerror() is a companion to getaddrinfo(), and
> it's prototyped in <netdb.h>.  It doesn't appear on my 5.2 system
> at all.

errorcodes.c assumes that if you have getaddrinfo() you have
gai_strerror().

#if defined(HAVE_GETADDRINFO)
        statcode -= APR_OS_START_EAIERR;
#if defined(NEGATIVE_EAI)
        statcode = -statcode;
#endif
        return stuffbuffer(buf, bufsize, gai_strerror(statcode));
#else
        return stuffbuffer(buf, bufsize, "APR does not understand this
        error code");
#endif

Can you verify that getaddrinfo() exists and that
HAVE_GETADDRINFO is defined in
srclib/apr/include/private/arch/unix/apr_private.h pretty please?

(I assume it is there, but I just want to double-check.)

We already do some sanity-checking of getaddrinfo() before deciding to
use it.  Probably we need to not consider that getaddrinfo() is usable
if there is no gai_strerror().  If you can verify that you really have
getaddrinfo() I'll work up a patch for you to test out.

> Has it been decided that APR won't support this environment?  A
> friendlier way of saying so would be nice.. :-)

The only environment APR won't support is the environment that has no
crusader (well, pretty much).

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...