apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Pools rewrite [2]
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:41:37 GMT
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Brian Pane wrote:

> I think there's an easy answer.
>
> The thread-specific pools in this implementation are really
> just pools that happen to own their own free lists.
>
> If a future async implementation has this same property--i.e.,
> pools can be "passed" from one thread to another, but a given
> pool can only have its methods invoked from one thread at a
> time--then we shouldn't have any problems.

Okay.  The situation (real or imagined) I was leery of was not allocation
but pool destruction... what happens when you have a subpool of a
one-thread-at-a-time pool that was created in one thread and gets
destroyed in another pool, if the parent pool is still active in the other
thread somehow?  I don't have a specific case I can name where this would
happen, but it seems possible.

[I'm perfectly happy to be told I'm imagining things and this just isn't a
problem... if that's the case, great!]

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com