apr-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Fogel <kfo...@newton.ch.collab.net>
Subject Re: disabling dbm stuff
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:02:53 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:12:31AM -0800, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > there needs to be a way to turn off db, gdbm, etc.  for example:
> >
> > --enable-dbm-only=sdbm (turn off everything except sdbm)
> >
> > --disable-dbm=gdbm (turn off just gdbm)
> >
> > doesn't matter what the configure arguments are called, but this
> > functionality needs to be in place.
>
> What's the motivation for this?  -- justin

I know with the Subversion project (which requires specific versions
of Berkeley DB) ran into some configuration conflicts with APR's
recent db changes.  The build would look like it had gone fine, but
then at run-time, the Subversion server would attempt to dynamically
load Berkeley 3.3.11, and get 3.1.17 instead (the latter being what
APR/Apache built with, iirc).  This only started happening with the
recent dbm tweaks in APR.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the issue in detail, but could
probably dig it up out of the Subversion mail archives if necessary.
Mike Pilato <cmpilato@collab.net> dealt with this problem in detail at
the time.

Anyway, this is one example where controlling the dbm at build time
would have been helpful.

-Karl