apr-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Gross <christiangr...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Pools rewrite [2]
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:19:01 GMT
At 22:12 04/12/2001 -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> > This is my second go at the pools code.
>
>A potential snag with the thread-specific pools idea was brought up today
>when I was talking with FirstBill and some of the others.  What is this
>going to do to us a little ways down the road when we try to implement
>async I/O, and all of the sudden requests are jumping from one thread to
>another?  Sounds like a big problem if thread-specific pools are in
>place... is there an easy answer?
>
>--Cliff

>    Cliff Woolley
>    cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
>    Charlottesville, VA

Hi

I know I am harping in a bit late in the conversation...  BUT I really
wanted to add something here.  COM started with the same thing.  In COM
there are different threading models, which were created out of the need to
synchronize access and define ownership.  Likewise in Windows GUI code you
had the same situation.  In either case the problem's of having thread
owned stuff is that things become "quirky".  When I mean "quirky", I mean
gee it worked then, but not now.

So sorry about being a bit late on the topic...

Christian Gross