apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: APR_POOL_DEBUG and apr_pool_tag()
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:43:57 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>"Sander Striker" <striker@apache.org> writes:
>
>>This sounds like good moment to introduce for APR_POOL_TAG.
>>

>fine by me...

One of the things that made the original pool code difficult
to maintain was that it had so many different ifdefs for
debugging.  I think it would be cleaner to leave out APR_POOL_TAG
and just enable the non-noop version of apr_pool_tag() all the
time.  In fact, I think that any "non-performance-impacting"
debug code in the new pools should be enabled by default, so
that in the event of a crash we'll be able to gather some extra
diagnostic information immediately, without having to first
recompile with debug flags and wait for the crash to happen
again.

--Brian