apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 ROADMAP
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:54:35 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

>On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 10:39, Sander Striker wrote:

>>In subversion svn_string_t was introduced, because it wasn't in APR.
>>It does (AFAIK) exactly what brian describes.
>>
>is there any reason NOT to introduce this into the APR now?
>we could then slowly migrate strings to this

I'm in favor of including it in APR, but opposed to trying to
retrofit it into Apache before 2.0 GA.  My rationale for this
is that, even with a reference-counted string class, we'll have
to be extremely careful not to make performance worse when doing
a major change in the string handling.  (And we're close to having
all the really significant strlen and strdup inefficiencies fixed
in httpd-2.0 already.)

--Brian