apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [ADDON] apr_malloc/apr_realloc/apr_free on per pool basis
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:32:00 GMT
On Wednesday 19 December 2001 10:20 am, Mladen Turk wrote:
> [...]

The real problem is that pools are too closely tied to long-lived servers, and
potentially to HTTP servers specifically.  Remember, that pools aren't supposed
to help decide when to allocate more memory.  The whole point of pools is to
allow you to never have to allocate memory, because you already allocated it
and you can just re-use it.

The biggest mistake I ever made with APR, was designing pools into it so
tightly.  Now, we are forced to layer code on top of pools to turn them into
something they were never meant to be.  :-(  I would much rather look at the
stacked memory allocation scheme we started a while ago, and see if there
is some way to make it do everything we want.  My original complaint about
that code, is that in Apache, we were using both pools and the stacked
memory, which was incorrect.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org