apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr Makefile.in
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:52:40 GMT
On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:17:34AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Jeff Trawick <trawick@attglobal.net> writes:
>
> > I don't have a big problem with upgrading.  Somebody needs to figure
> > out what libtool we really require now and go fix the version checking
> > logic in buildconf.
>
> I take that back.  I have all sorts of failures on AIX (libtool 1.4.2)
> this a.m. related to libtool.  I think we need to back this out for
> now and put it back in when:

Okay, it's reverted.  It was worth a shot.  =)

> 1) we know what libtool version is required and everybody has a chance
>    to upgrade (or bug their sysops to upgrade)

I believe at least libtool 1.4.  There are lots of reasons to require
1.4.2 (Mac OS X is only supported with 1.4.2).  This is just a developer
requirement not an end-user requirement, so I think we could be fairly
picky about our versions if we believe it'll give us a good value in
the long-run.

> 2) people such as myself have at least some chance to debug why a
>    supposedly good version of libtool can't deal with the new usage on
>    a particular platform (e.g., AIX)

Well, everything libtool says is DSO isn't supported on AIX.  We're
trying our best to prove them wrong.  My guess is that the dependency
generation is turned off since they "know" that AIX has no dependency
support.  We will probably have to teach libtool about dependencies.

Can you post the errors you were seeing?  I don't have AIX, but I
can try doing research on it time permitting.  -- justin