apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Problem with memory initialization.
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:19:24 GMT
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:16:56AM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > I don't think it would be worth the time and effort.
> > running with a full /tmp is not very healthy for the system at all.
> > maybe a better error message in apr_initialize saying 'unable to create
> > lockfile /tmp/aprXXXX
> > is all that is needed?
>
> The real problem is that now you have a lock file that isn't under the
> control of the administrator at all.  I dislike that a lot.

I think Aaron's point is correct.  And, this goes to what Stas was
mentioning this morning.  =)  Stas seems to be a bit ahead of us.

My $.02: apr_initialize should take the "default" tmp path and then
subsequent apps can call apr_tmppath() (or whatnot) to create a temp
file in the default temp dir.  I'd imagine they could play naughty
and still use /tmp, but that's not our fault.  -- justin