apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Problem with memory initialization.
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:11:19 GMT
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:59:20AM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> This took me a while to track down, but I did it.  One of the engineers at
> Covalent tried to start Apache with a full /tmp file system.  None of his Apache
> directives pointed to /tmp, so he assumed he would be okay.  Unfortunately,
> he wasn't, the server was giving him an error because /tmp was full.
>
> The problem is that apr_initialize() calls apr_pool_init(), which creates a
> lock file in /tmp/aprXXXXXX.  I think apr_initialize should take a path to
> create the lock file in.  That would allow Apache to provide the correct path.
>
> The biggest problem is that this would change the API for the one function
> that must be in every APR program.
>
> Thoughts?

Is it the lock routine or something specific to apr_pool_init that is
creating the tmpfile? In general I think given the current state of
apr_file_mktemp and that we create cross-process locks that need tmp
files, a full /tmp will still be a problem in other places in the app.

Maybe apr_initialize could take a path to create all tmp files in
(or was that what you were suggesting)?

-aaron