apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Pools rewrite [2]
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:27:09 GMT
From: "Cliff Woolley" <cliffwoolley@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 9:12 PM

> > This is my second go at the pools code.
>
> A potential snag with the thread-specific pools idea was brought up today
> when I was talking with FirstBill and some of the others.  What is this
> going to do to us a little ways down the road when we try to implement
> async I/O, and all of the sudden requests are jumping from one thread to
> another?  Sounds like a big problem if thread-specific pools are in
> place... is there an easy answer?

It certainly better not be a problem, or that asych would be borked.

Only one thread -at-a-time- will be processing a request.  Unlike 2.0, there
might be no thread processing a request at a given time, but the request
and connection pools can safely be assumed to be thread-safe at any given
moment, if we do the async right.

Of course, if you implement multi-thread/connection duplexing, then we get
back to the same code we started with.  And probably loose most of the
async performance benefits to pool locks.