apr-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: apr_buckets_file.c:file_read + XTHREAD
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:12:17 GMT
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Nope, scratch that, it won't even happen in that case.  Duh.  The
> split/copied file buckets point to the _same_ apr_bucket_file struct and
> therefore the _same_ apr_file_t.  Only once will we ever see that
> apr_file_t as APR_XTHREAD, at which point we reopen it as ~APR_XTHREAD and
> replace the apr_file_t in the shared apr_bucket_file struct.
>
> You'll only ever possibly reopen the file once for one family of file
> buckets [which basically means once per request max].

ok, i see that now.  as for mod_file_cache taking care of this, it too
would only reopen the file on every request if we have to, no?
after all, it is mod_file_cache that sets the XTHREAD flag to begin with.
just doesn't seem like bucket_read() is the right place for this logic.

main issue for me is, if the file cannot be mmapped, i want to avoid
apr_bucket_read()/file_read() and just call apr_file_read() directly for
better performance.  i imagine other modules might want to do this as
well.  wouldn't want to see copy-n-paste of the XTHREAD logic in these
cases.