apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apr versioning
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:58:18 GMT
[ copying back to the list; I presume you wanted it to go there... ]

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 12:10:26AM +0000, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> On 11/11/2001 10:07 pm, "Greg Stein" <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> > Here are the types of changes possible:
> >
> > MAJOR version changes: fundamental changes in usage of the API (e.g. using
> >   SMS rather than pools), or fundamental changes in the objects (e.g.
> >   pipes get their own object, rather than modelling as files).
> >
> > MINOR version changes: adding new APIs, and using macros to remap old APIs
> >   into the new ones (thus keeping source compat for old API forms).
> >
> > PATCH version changes: no substative changes to the headers (e.g. just
> >   changes in comments). Bug fixes only to the code.
> I like it _a_lot_... Could we extend it also to other projects for
> versioning? Jakarta and XML for example... (but to ease things up, decide
> and fix over here, then when it's all ready, someone might write a nice doc
> and we can just refer to that :) :)
>     Pier (feelin' lazy!)

You bet it could work for other projects. Nothing specific to APR about it.
I think that I'll capture all of the "policy" and put it onto the
apr.apache.org web site. At some point, we could just move that to the main
site if enough projects buy into it.

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

View raw message