apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: nested mutexes
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 20:49:56 GMT
On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 04:24:35PM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> I do agree that an app should have to request it.  I dunno how many
> libraries support nested locking... I fear that if the app is designed
> to require nested locking, APR will need to implement the nesting
> itself in order for the app to work portably.

APR appears to have nested locking implemented on UNIX already, but
I'm not sure that is ubiquitous. If we go with my proposal to make it
a runtime option, then we can either turn it on for platforms/libs that
support it natively, or simply implement it ourselves as we have on Unix.

What precident do we have to initialization-time attributes? Would we
prefer a bitfield or something more elaborate, ala posix attributes?
This will no doubt require a small prototype change to the lock types
that we want to support this, but now is the time to do that kind of
stuff (before we move to the new lock api, and before we release :).

-aaron