apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject stupid bucket tricks
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:40:07 GMT

Does anyone have a sense of how long a string would have to be before
this:

    str = apr_psprintf(p, "</PRE>\n\n<HR></HR>\n\n%s\n\n</BODY>\n</HTML>\n",
                       ap_psignature("", r));
    e = apr_bucket_pool_create(str, strlen(str), p);
    APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_TAIL(out, e);

got to be significantly more expensive than this?

    e = apr_bucket_immortal_create("</PRE>\n\n<HR></HR>\n\n", len1);
    APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_TAIL(out, e);
    str = ap_psignature("", r);
    e = apr_bucket_pool_create(str, strlen(str), r->pool);
    APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_TAIL(out, e);
    e = apr_bucket_immortal_create("\n\n</BODY>\n</HTML>\n", len2);
    APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_TAIL(out, e);

I guess a big part of that question is "how expensive is apr_psprintf?"
Furthermore, at what point does splitting the thing into a bunch of little
bitty bucket meatballs (as with the second option here) become a loss in
terms of bucket processing overhead later on?

I don't really expect anyone to have the answers to these questions, I
just thought I'd throw them out there anyway.

[In case anyone's curious, the first option here came straight from
mod_proxy... I just made up the second version as food for thought.]

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA