apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] apr_thread_setconcurrency()
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2001 02:29:55 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> I'd like to propose we add a call that gives a hint to the OS as to
> the level of concurrency we wish to have. This would mirror
> pthread_setconcurrency(), and would be a simple call to that on
> operating systems that have it available. On other platforms it
> would be simple noop.
>
> Give me some +1s and I'll submit a patch.
>
> -aaron

+1 IF the number you set it to is a hint, and solaris can changes the
concurrency afterwards according to the load on the system/internal
guidelines.

Oh...
I ran the the testlockperf code on the 8-way box, with
the pthread_setconcurrency calls commented out, and with
the concurrency calls put in (setting them to 8).
results are as follows

(without setconcurrency)
APR Lock Performance Test
==============

apr_lock(INTRAPROCESS, MUTEX) Lock Tests
     Initializing the apr_lock_t                             OK
     Starting all the threads                                OK
microseconds: 9373710 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
     Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t                     OK
     Starting all the threads                                OK
microseconds: 7304314 usec
apr_lock(INTRAPROCESS, READWRITE) Lock Tests
     Initializing the apr_lock_t                             OK
microseconds: 11247506 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
     Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t                     OK

microseconds: 8148914 usec

(with pthread_setconcurrency(8) where you put the comments)
APR Lock Performance Test
==============

apr_lock(INTRAPROCESS, MUTEX) Lock Tests
     Initializing the apr_lock_t                             OK
     Starting all the threads                                OK
microseconds: 20054346 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
     Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t                     OK
     Starting all the threads                                OK
microseconds: 16979410 usec
apr_lock(INTRAPROCESS, READWRITE) Lock Tests
     Initializing the apr_lock_t                             OK

--It just sits at this point....
(CVS Code is a couple of day old if that makes a difference)