apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: APR and apache2 includes should be different
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:23:56 GMT

Copying dev@apr.apache.org, so that the APR developers know about this.

On Wednesday 26 September 2001 04:18 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi all,
> Currently libapr and apache2 are designed to put their includes into the
> one directory. For example:
> apxs2 -q INCLUDEDIR, will return /usr/include/apache2, in our Debian
> package.
>
> The problem is, we have libapr-dev as well, with {apr,APR}*, from the
> include directory, with its includes in /usr/include/libapr. So, apache2
> includes go in /usr/include/apache2, in the apache2-dev package, and APR
> includes go in /usr/include/libapr, in the libapr-dev package. I find
> this vastly preferable for things like xmlvl, which only need APR, not
> apache2.
>
> In the short term, we're making both packages use /usr/include/apache2,
> to keep things like php4 happy. In the long term, however, I'd like to
> propose that apxs2 have two categories, so that:
> apxs2 -q AP2INCDIR, returns /usr/include/apache2 (or
> /usr/local/apache2/include or whatever)
> apxs2 -q APRINCDIR, returns /usr/include/libapr (or
> /usr/local/apache2/include or whatever)
>
> apache2 and APR are two different packages; thus they shouldn't have a
> common include dir IMHO.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> :) d

You are 100% correct.  The problem right now, is that APR was developed
with Apache.  What we really need to do, is to allow Apache to find APR on
the machine, and just use a previously installed copy of APR.  That would
solve this problem completely, and a side-effect would be that we could
easily have two different install locations for the APR headers and libraries.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org