apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: FW: Autoconf 2.5/Libtool 1.4 problem...
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:01:36 GMT
On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 03:48:03AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 03:29:11AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > See my recent post. I've got SVN working with 2.52 and 1.4.2. I had no
> > problems with shared libraries or linking. The problems were related to
> > libtool's "relink" behavior at install time. It is buggy, so I wrote a
> > workaround. Works, but I'm hoping somebody has a better solution before I go
> > and commit.
> >
> > So... it could be that APR is doing Something Bad and making the combo not
> > work right.
>
> Is there an archive somewhere of the SVN list?

The web browser for the archive blows. But you can get there via
http://subversion.tigris.org/ and a billion clicks thru the web archive
navigator :-(

> What could we be doing wrong?  APR is just calling AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.
> Is there a step we're missing in autoconf?  The only thing in common
> between the two systems are the autoconf/libtool versions - change
> one of the versions and the combo works.
>
> What I'm seeing is that libtool wants to build a shared library and
> fails miserably, so it's failing at compile time - not install time.
> We're not even making it to the relink phase done at an install
> with 1.4.  And, with 1.4.2 - it just silently disables shared
> libraries.
>
> I've now managed to get a current GNU toolchain (binutils, gcc,
> libtool, autoconf) built on Solaris.  I'm going to see if I can
> reproduce this on other OSes.  Any help is appreciated...
> -- justin

As a wild guess... you mentioned problems with -soname. SVN doesn't attempt
to insert that into compiles/links. If APR is putting it in there, and
you're seeing a problem with it, well... :-)

Note that when libtool does a compile, it is really just a wrapper around
GCC and the params that have been defined for it. SVN doesn't do anything
complicated because we depend upon APR, yet it sounds like APR is doing
something a bit extraordinary in there somewhere. (and not exporting it via
APRVARS to its clients)

Whatever the case, I have a full set of shared libs and it all works fine.

I'm off to bed now, tho... good luck.

Cheers,
-g

--