apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: FW: Autoconf 2.5/Libtool 1.4 problem...
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:48:03 GMT
On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 03:29:11AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> See my recent post. I've got SVN working with 2.52 and 1.4.2. I had no
> problems with shared libraries or linking. The problems were related to
> libtool's "relink" behavior at install time. It is buggy, so I wrote a
> workaround. Works, but I'm hoping somebody has a better solution before I go
> and commit.
>
> So... it could be that APR is doing Something Bad and making the combo not
> work right.

Is there an archive somewhere of the SVN list?

What could we be doing wrong?  APR is just calling AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.
Is there a step we're missing in autoconf?  The only thing in common
between the two systems are the autoconf/libtool versions - change
one of the versions and the combo works.

What I'm seeing is that libtool wants to build a shared library and
fails miserably, so it's failing at compile time - not install time.
We're not even making it to the relink phase done at an install
with 1.4.  And, with 1.4.2 - it just silently disables shared
libraries.

I've now managed to get a current GNU toolchain (binutils, gcc,
libtool, autoconf) built on Solaris.  I'm going to see if I can
reproduce this on other OSes.  Any help is appreciated...
-- justin