apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Autoconf 2.5/Libtool 1.4 problem...
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:43:54 GMT
On my Mandrake-based systems (seen on 7.2 and Cooker), libtool 1.4
and autoconf 2.52 (reproducable with the stock gnu.org versions)
interact to cause shared libraries not to work.  I haven't been
able to find out exactly what the cause is here.  (I'll attempt to
dig in more as time allows...)

With libtool 1.4, this results in a non-buildable tree (as it
tries to use -soname which is not supported by gcc).  Libtool
1.4.2 is a bit better, but refuses to build shared libraries at
*all* (but the tree is buildable - we'll just *silently* ignore
any requests for shared libraries - which is bad).

The kicker here is that this problem doesn't occur with autoconf
2.13/libtool 1.4 or autconf 2.52/libtool 1.3.3 (libtool complains
about an unexpected = in this combination, but builds okay).  I
just tested with autoconf 2.50/libtool 1.4.2 and this combination
looks broken too.

Can anyone else reproduce this?  Should we force buildconf to forbid
this combination (autoconf 2.50+ and libtool 1.4+)?  -- justin