apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Release time?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:26:30 GMT
On Wednesday 19 September 2001 09:20 am, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 08:19:01AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > I would like to move APR to a releasable state finally.  To do this, we
> > need to finish the locking API at the very least.  Does anybody have
> > other issues that need to be resolved?
>
> Oh, I'd like to consider Sander's pool re-implementation and
> Madhu's shared memory patch.  Both of these don't change the API,
> so I don't think it affects the "releasability" of APR.
>
> (I think releasable state means that no API changes occur without
> three +1s - code may still be C-T-R - that's my take on it...)
>
> They can wait until I get around to it, or someone beats me to it.
> -- justin

Once APR is released, no APIs can be changed ever, without a VERY good
reason for the change.  We can add API's whenever we want, but removing
an API from a library is an absolute no-no.

This is one reason I want the locking done before release.  I would like to remove
the old useless API.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org