apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject AIX M:N threads? was Re: [proposal] apr_thread_setconcurrency()
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2001 02:44:58 GMT
On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 07:11:41PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> The only platforms that I know about that have a two-level thread model
> are AIX and Solaris. The single-level thread libs ignore setconcurrency
> because every thread is what solaris calls a "bound thread", or a kernel
> scheduled entity (it gets it's own process slot). The only exceptions
> to this rule are fully userspace thread libs, where setconcurrency is
> inherently maximized at 1.

Oh, crap, you're right.  AIX has M:N threads by default in 4.3.1+.
(Isn't it funny that IBM is adopting something that Sun is ditching?)

Okay, so, what does setconcurrency do on AIX?  How does testlockperf
work on MP AIX boxes?  I bet it'd do the same bad things as Solaris
does.  But, I know nothing about AIX.  -- justin