apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: APR_INCOMPLETE confusion
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:25:12 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> [...]

maybe the description of APR_INCOMPLETE should be made more vague
(slightly less useful to somebody trying to see what it means) to
cover different uses?

but programmers are one thing, and they can grep the source code if
they're confused; end users are yet another, and there is no easy
workaround for a vague error string from apr_strerror()

> The flavors I can see are;
>
> APR_SUCCESS   processed all input, provided all expected output
>
> APR_???       processed all input, can only provide some expected output
>               (generally a system limitation, such as stat)
>
> APR_???       processed some input, but remaining input is _invalid_
>               (as apr_xlate means, are we expecting more input?)
>
> APR_???       processed some input, have more output but the output buffer
>               is filled (apr_xlate treats this as APR_SUCCESS, which probably
>               isn't entirely healthy.)

it is an expected condition; nothing is wrong with the input :)

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...