apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Conditionals...
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2001 01:16:02 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com> writes:

> > >                                         Likewise, even a mid-update context
> > > switch doesn't matter for a variable that is only incremented/decremented.
> >
> > only if the variable is used for an approximation :)
>
> I said only one writer.

Well, you certainly know how to interpret what you write and I
certainly didn't :)

> All variables are an approximation -- cosmic rays can change the value as
> well, with only a slightly smaller probability than mid-increment time
> slices in a non-test system.

hmmm... I've seen many fixes needed for several instruction sequences
which did not handle being interrupted (i.e. broken serialization);
unclear how many of the unrepeatable bugs are due to cosmic rays...
as a programmer I wouldn't want to assume that any of them
are... certainly the customers I'm familiar with would not accept that
as an answer :)

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...