apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] DBM - allow multiple DBM's of differnt types at the same time.
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:46:59 GMT
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Sterling Hughes wrote:

> > yes.. thats the point of the patch
> > #include <apr_dbm_sdbm.h>
> > #include <apr_dbm_db.h>
> >
> > apr_dbm_t  b1= apr_dbm_open_sdbm(...);
> > apr_dbm_t b2= apr_dbm_open_db(...);
> >
> > should work.
> > the 'test' program will have a update later which will allow it to
> > choose DB types (-t DB|SDBM|GDBM)
> >

> 	Ahh, ok...  I was thinking something more inline with:
>
> 	#include <apr_dbm.h>
>
> 	apr_dmb_t b1 = apr_dbm_open(APR_GDBM, ...);
>
> 	But either way works.

Different parts of APR and apr-util use one method or the other, so it's
hard to say which is more consistent.  Some use Ian's method (eg buckets,
sms), some use yours (eg locks).  I think I like Ian's flavor (the
apr_dbm_open_foo one) better in this context because it's probably more
easily extensible by an outside module that might know about some flavor
of dbm we don't know about.  But that's just me.  <shrug>

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA