apr-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Pools, possible replacement, WAS: RE: [Fwd: brianp patch Quantify results]
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:21:11 GMT
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> If you have the backplane (my guess would be Gigabit Ethernet) to

Well, or just a less powerful server.  The goal isn't the best raw
numbers, the goal is comparison.  Granted, that comparison can be
different on various sized machines (eg. SMP vs. not, etc.).

More important than just the performance of a given workload is an
understanding of what different types of things are slower or faster, and
what types of workloads are impacted the most by the changes.  And, of
course, relating those workloads to reality.

So I guess I'm just trying to remind people not to focus too much on
numbers generated by any particular benchmark since they can be misleading
at the best, and can cause "optimizations" that are actually more
expensive in the "real world"...