apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Shared Memory on Solaris 8
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:56:31 GMT
On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 09:11:43AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> I thought solaris was going to use shmget for shared memory.
> decision on shared memory allocation method... 4.4BSD-style mmap() via
> MAP_ANON

I noticed that, too.  Seems like they added MAP_ANON in Solaris 8.  I
just used the original ordering from MM.  The ordering is as follows:

mmap() on a temporary file
mmap() via shm_open() on temporary file
mmap() on /dev/zero
shmget()
mmap() via MAP_ANON
BeOS areas
OS/2 DosAllocSharedMem()

Any suggestions for improving our decision process is welcomed.

I think mmap() via MAP_ANON is the one that most recent OSes support
and it pushes all of this back to the OS (where this belongs).
shmget() isn't a very nice API, IMHO.  =)  -- justin