apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Pools, possible replacement, WAS: RE: [Fwd: brianp patch Quantify results]
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:40:59 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:21:11PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > If you have the backplane (my guess would be Gigabit Ethernet) to
>
> Well, or just a less powerful server.  The goal isn't the best raw
> numbers, the goal is comparison.  Granted, that comparison can be
> different on various sized machines (eg. SMP vs. not, etc.).

Well, part of the problem is that Sander's pool optimization is
intended to benefit MP boxes.  It adds thread-local free-lists - so
the benefit is probably only noticable on MP boxes under load.

The problem is that I can't get enough out of our network (with
the URLs I hit) to see if it improves the performance.  I will
try to adjust the URLs I hit to see if I can move the bottleneck
back to the CPU.

Any suggestions here?  -- justin