apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Pools, possible replacement, WAS: RE: [Fwd: brianp patch Quantify results]
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2001 00:08:37 GMT
On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 12:23:26AM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> Justin will probably follow up later with test results.

Well, I did run the tests.  However, in all cases/combinations
(new pool/old pool, threaded/prefork MPM), our limitation is the
network bandwidth.  We're currently pulling about 70-75Mbps
which seems to max out our Cisco Catalyst 2940 (100BaseT)
switches.  This leads to about ~405rps for my test.

This is a *good* sign however - in the (recent) past with Apache
2.0, I haven't been able to max out the network bandwidth.  Roy
has suggested using smaller files/requests - I'll try that
next week.  What I'll say is that Sander's new code doesn't
crash (it is cleaner code).  As far as performance goes, I can't
really judge that with the network we have - as we can't get
much better without a network overhaul.  =)

If you have the backplane (my guess would be Gigabit Ethernet) to
support this, I can send anyone the flood configs I was using.
They are similar to the URLs I posted earlier as a suggestion
for an attempt at standardizing benchmarks for common httpd-2.0
code.

For the curious, the machines we were using were both dual
PIII/550s with 1GB of RAM running Solaris (client is Sol7,
server is Sol8).  They were yawning throughout the test (about
50% idle on the server).  -- justin