apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/flood config.h.in configure.in flood.c flood_round_robin.c
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:44:54 GMT
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 09:30:24AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> [ CCing dev@apr - this came about due to flood requiring a PRNG... ]
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 09:21:06AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > Really this should be in APR, but I fear that PRNG is a touchy subject
> > for portability. The problem is that when you're using a PRNG, you usually
> > need to know the operating parameters of the PRNG, like what you ran in to:
> > period, distribution, etc... If we put an abstraction into APR, we may end
> > up with lowest-common-denominator-syndrome, where it becomes less than
> > useful for cases that require specific amounts of entropy.
> > What do you think?
> Knuth Vol. 2 or Numerical Recipies in C.  =-)  Both have fairly large
> and detailed sections on PRNGs.  (I have both books.)
> I don't see a problem adding a PRNG into APR as long as we have a by
> default "good" one available with known characteristics.  -- justin

Um... APR *already* has random stuff in there. It can build against the
truerand library, and it can use the /dev/random device.

If we have a small hunk of PRNG code, that would be great. Unfortunately,
though, it would be rather difficult to feed APR with a lot of entropic
data. (i.e. where/how would it come from?)

But just a good PRNG function would be handy, I'd think.

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

View raw message