apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr CHANGES configure.in
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 06:17:37 GMT
On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:03:50PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Well, looking at MM, it decides to use IPCSHM on my linux box.  I was unable
> to make my machine work when using MAP_ANON.  I also looked at what we
> did for Apache-1.3.  We used SHMGET for Linux on 1.3.
>
> This makes me think we should be using SHMGET on linux.  I just did what I
> needed to, to get Linux up and running again.  If you can make MAP_ANON
> work, great.  Otherwise, for right now, we have a working server.  :-)

Ah, Mandrake 7.2, right?  Linux 2.2-based...  Aha.

I wonder if they fixed MAP_ANON in Linux 2.4.  MAP_ANON worked fine
with a 2.4 series kernel.  So, we could add an override for <2.4 (what
about 2.3?) to not use MAP_ANON.  I wonder why SHMGET wasn't working -
it worked fine on Solaris (so the code should supposedly work on Linux).

Wouldn't /dev/zero be a better choice than a temporary file?  I think
even 2.2 has support for that.

I'll try testing with a Linux 2.2 machine (hopefully soon).  If I can
figure out the right way to avoid using MAP_ANON in 2.2 (or other
brokenness), I'll revert to the previous order with appropriate
safeguards.  -- justin