apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Handholding: shared memory
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:35:28 GMT
On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 09:00:37AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Unix shared memory is all anonymous, it must be created by the parent, and
> inherited by the child.  Again, when somebody has the time/energy to fix
> Unix shared memory, this will change.

FWIW, I have an implementation in my tree that doesn't use MM.  The
only problem is that you can't "free" the individual memory segments
you retrieve from the alloc call.  You can only free the entire
segment (the free call is essentially a no-op).  If this is worth
having, I can post/commit the patch.  It should be equivalent in all
other aspects to MM.  (Based off the MM code, but I ripped out
everything we didn't need and I cleaned up the code...)

I don't believe we need to be able to free each block returned from the
shmem segment, so I don't think this is a big deal though.  Thoughts?

I don't think we need to have memory management in shmem...  -- justin