apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: use of malloc in dso.c instead of apr_palloc?
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2001 07:16:33 GMT
On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 12:25:11PM -0400, Sterling Hughes wrote:

>     Well, as the overly long title suggests, is there any reason that
>     malloc() is used in dso.c (unix and aix)?  apr_palloc() seems
>     fine for these purposes (temporary string).  Also, as a side
>     note, sizeof(char) is used in the allocation, which is extreaneous,
>     because a char is always equivalent to one base unit of memory
>     (well, at least that's how I interpret ANSII).

If I remember my compiler class correctly, sizeof() gives a constant scalar
at compile-time. Any decent compiler will perform constant folding on
expressions like (sizeof(char)*12) before producing object code. This means
you should feel free to use sizeof() liberally if it helps readability.

-aaron