apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Conditionals...
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:02:03 GMT
> > All variables are an approximation -- cosmic rays can change the value as
> > well, with only a slightly smaller probability than mid-increment time
> > slices in a non-test system.
>
> hmmm... I've seen many fixes needed for several instruction sequences
> which did not handle being interrupted (i.e. broken serialization);
> unclear how many of the unrepeatable bugs are due to cosmic rays...
> as a programmer I wouldn't want to assume that any of them
> are... certainly the customers I'm familiar with would not accept that
> as an answer :)

Due to mid-increment time slices?  All of the race conditions I have seen
in practice have been due to I/O operations (not register loads).

In any case, I have no doubt that such a condition can occur.   I am simply
saying that I don't care, and neither will the customer if I have written
the code correctly.  If I did care, *then* I would use locks.

....Roy