apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR_INCOMPLETE confusion
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:34:44 GMT
From: "Jeff Trawick" <trawick@attglobal.net>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 7:28 AM

> I'm happy to create a new APR_INCOMPLETE_CHAR status, hijack the
> current doc for APR_INCOMPLETE, and change Apache/APR as appropriate.
>
> Does APR_INCOMPLETE (for incomplete file status) need to be renamed as
> well for clarity?  APR_INCOMPLETE_STATUS may be sufficiently clear.
>
> Comments?

the list seems to have an issue with the proliferation of error result codes.
I don't have a set opinion on this, and certainly a few more will be warrented
over time.

The flavors I can see are;

APR_SUCCESS   processed all input, provided all expected output

APR_???       processed all input, can only provide some expected output
              (generally a system limitation, such as stat)

APR_???       processed some input, but remaining input is _invalid_
              (as apr_xlate means, are we expecting more input?)

APR_???       processed some input, have more output but the output buffer
              is filled (apr_xlate treats this as APR_SUCCESS, which probably
              isn't entirely healthy.)

More thoughts?