apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Handholding: shared memory
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:36:59 GMT
On Monday 13 August 2001 14:10, Ian Holsman wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2001 13:59:40 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:56:55AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > ++1!  Please commit ASAP.
> >
> > Should I?  It is ready for commit.  It may make the build a bit unstable
> > until the kinks are worked out.  It'll just ignore the MM directory
> > until we figure out how to deal with the old directory.
> >
> > But, it serves pages under Solaris and Linux though.  =-)  Restarts look
> > okay as well.  -- justin
> shouldn't this wait until we roll out a beta/GA?
> MM works now, and is stable.
> unless this new code is significantly faster or more functional it
> should not replace MM. (it could be enabled like --enable-sms of course)

No, this shouldn't wait.  MM is very large, and is much more complex than we
need.  We also have hacks on top of MM to make it work inside of APR.

The sooner we get the MM library out of our hair, and get the new cleaner
code in, then better off we are.

Add to that, the fact that we haven't updated MM because of our own hacks that
we added, means that we are missing potential security and performance