apr-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <d...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Observations on fragmentation in SMS pools
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 17:45:06 GMT
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > Aaron pointed out that CLR (Cormen/Leiserson/Rivest for those that never
> > took algorithms classes) has many memory allocation algorithms.  I'd
> > bet we could find one that would work better.  -- justin
>
> At USENIX there was a talk about extending the slab allocator to
> multiple CPUs. One of the things in the talk was a thing called vmem,
> which is a general purpose resource allocator with low fragmentation and
> constant-time allocations (optionally - for more time you can get a
> better fit). Sounds pretty good, eh?
>
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix01/bonwick.html

linux 2.4 uses a slab allocator for many critical data structures -- in
particular the networking code uses it.  this is one of the tricks they
used betwen 2.2 and 2.4 to increase the scalability to large numbers of
CPUs.  their allocator does have per-cpu caching, but i don't remember all
the details.

-dean