apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: DCEthreads - cancellation / mutexes is possible
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:49:20 GMT

> well, in amongst all this about threads etc. i just wanted
> to let you know that i happened across the context_app
> example in the dce 1.22 codebase.  it is an example
> client and server that maintains a context - a persistent
> connection across multiple remote function calls.
>
> this implies that if the connection dies without the client
> destroying the context, then the server must do it _for_
> you [by calling context_name_t_rundown which you *have* to
> provide: it calls it on every outstanding context of type
> 'context_name_t' it is an auto-generated function.]
>
> and that means killing a thread.
>
> and _that_ implies thread cancellation and cleanups.
>
> and it works.
>
> therefore, i conclude that the dce/rpc codebase has successfully
> implemented thread cancellation in their POSIX/Draft4 thread
> library.

That is quite a leap in logic there.  I can think of multiple ways that
the thread itself could timeout and kill itself.  You also haven't
mentioned how much memory was leaked by killing that thread.  I am not
saying you are wrong, just that with the information you provided above, I
am not convinced that they have actually successfully implemented async
killing of threads.

Ryan