apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: APR Error Handling
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2001 20:56:43 GMT

> > > Hi.
> > > I've got a simple library/test app which uses APR.
> > > I would like to also use it in a apache module..
> > >
> > > the problem I'm seeing is that ap_log_[rp]error is in server/log.c
> > > so I can't use that if It's not HTTP.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there should be something in the APR code a APR
> > > routine can call and which ap_log_Xerror would call to actually write
> > > the error out.
> >
> > ap_log_Xerror are web server specific.  APR provides apr_strerror to
> > provide a string interpretation of the error, but a function to write the
> > error string to stderr is beyond the scope of APR.
>
> so how do we handle error loging in other libraries like apr-util??
> all I can see is that they pass APR_EGENERAL back to the caller.
> which If the app doesnt seg fault is probably next to useless in trying
> to track down the error
>
> maybe there needs to be a method of registering error numbers/functions
> so that apr_sterror knows that error 1230981 is from apr-util and would
> call apr-util's function it registered to show the error message.

We already have a set of error numbers that are specific to an
application.  As for APR-util, APR-util should be returning their own
error codes.  If an APR-util function returns an error, then apr-util
should have a mechanism for determining what the error was.  That may mean
with a separate function, or by hooking into apr_strerror.

The only problem with extending apr_strerror, is that we have only
allocated 500 error messages.  If a lot of libraries are created to extend
the error functions, then we will run out.

I would rather see APR-util provide it's own function, and have that
function fall back to using apr_strerror, if the error is an APR error.

That way, two libraries, apr-util and apr-iconv, could use the same
APR_OS_START_USERERR + x value and the app would consider them two
different errors.

Ryan