apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/memory/unix apr_sms.c apr_sms_trivial.c sms_private.h
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 21:55:37 GMT
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 05:14:47PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> [...]
> > Error-checking
> > is something that we pointedly avoid doing in APR.
> [...]
>
> Please tell me this is not a general policy, and that APR has a small
> amount of error checking. Pretty please? I don't advocate pedantic
> error checking, but it should have at least enough to make it easier for
> developers to find their bugs while coding. (isn't this the difference
> between "debug" and "release" versions? Efficiency at the expense of
> minor usability improvements??)
>
> (yes, I'm revisiting a thread from a few weeks ago)

There is minimal error checking in APR.  Obviously we return error codes,
so we do know when something has gone wrong.  We do not check to ensure
that a user has passed in valid data, because that is a waste of time.
Better to let the program die, and allow the programmer to deal with the
seg fault.

Ryan