apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/memory/unix apr_sms.c apr_sms_trivial.c sms_private.h
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:01:29 GMT
On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 12:26:32PM -0000, dreid@apache.org wrote:
> > dreid       01/07/07 05:26:32
> >
> >   Modified:    include  apr_sms.h
> >                memory/unix apr_sms.c apr_sms_trivial.c sms_private.h
> >   Log:
> >   Add the abort function into sms.  This is largely to keep compatability
> >   with pools and at present we don't do anything more than get/set, but
> >   that's easily fixed.
> >
> >   Question is, do we still want this capability?
>
> I don't think there is any benefit to this.  But, someone else might
> be able to chime in and say why we need this functionality.  -- justin

This MUST stay.  The reason is simple.  A well behaved library will not
exit, or print a message to stderr.  However, because APR needs to
maintain backwards compat with Apache 1.3, when we can't allocate memory,
we print to stderr, and abort.

Unless there is another way to use APR and provide both options, the abort
function must remain.

Ryan