apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/buckets apr_buckets_file.c
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:30:40 GMT

> > Perhaps just having a different offset, like -1 to specify that you should
> > always use the OS's file offset.
>
> Hmm... that *only* works if you can guarantee that no other code (eg, some
> filter) is going muck with the brigade.  IMO you're much better off
> keeping track of the offset than counting on reading from the file
> sequentially without backtracking and without skipping any.  Buckets
> should work regardless of which buckets come before or after them in the
> brigade.

I agree, but Bill is saying that in http, we can usually count on the OS
file offset being correct, so he wants a performance enhancement for that
case.  I have no problem adding an enhancement for that special case,
assuming it is called out as a special case.

I just want to be sure that we don't back out the fix that went in
yesterday, so I am offering options that might work for everybody.  :-)

I do not agree that the special case will always work, sooner or later a
filter will break the special case IMO, but I don't want to force my
opinions on everybody.

Ryan