apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/buckets apr_buckets_file.c
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:18:23 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> What specific problem are we trying  to fix?  I agree for the need for a seek() in the
> case you are describing below but it seems to be an unusual case, at least for the
> webserver. We need to focus on making APR work efficiently for the most common cases
and
> resist the urge to create an overgeneralized solutions to every problem.  Apache httpd
> already has serious performance problems and patches like this are not helping us move
in
> the right direction/

I agree whole-heartedly that we need to care about performance.  However,
the need to be performance aware can NEVER interfere with making the code
work correctly.  Also, APR has nothing to do with a web server.  The first
application was a web server, but that isn't the only application.  APR is
being used in Apache modules, Subversion, and I happen to know that Rob
McCool is using APR for some of his projects.

If you are going to veto this patch, please at least suggest a way to
get the same feature without it.  Not having the buckets respect the
offset that I passed in breaks MY code.

Perhaps just having a different offset, like -1 to specify that you should
always use the OS's file offset.

Ryan