apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/buckets apr_buckets_file.c
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 13:56:38 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> I am teetering on a -1 for this patch. You are hacking around a more fundamental problem.
> If we cannot fix problems like this w/o impacting the performance of all applications
that
> need to read files, then APR is seriously broken.

Huh?  If I have a file that I put into a bucket, and I set the offset to
0, so that the bucket refers to the whole file, then the bucket code needs
to respect that, regardless of what else I do with the file.  This is
about making the code orthogonal, so that if I read from the file
someplace else, it doesn't effect my bucket logic.

Besides, we are already into the "the performance of this operation sucks"
segment of the code.

Also, I have a feeling that if the file pointer is already at the correct
location, then the C Run-Time will just return, without doing anything.

Ryan