apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Initial profiling data on the SMS pools implementation
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2001 02:58:50 GMT
On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Brian Pane wrote:

> I used gprof to do some performance profiling of an httpd built
> using SMS-based pools.
>
> Below is the list of the top 100 functions, ranked by CPU usage.
> (The full output of gprof, showing what functions contribute the
> most invocations of what other functions, is ~300KB, so I haven't
> included it here.  I'm happy to send a copy to anybody who's
> interested in the details.)

Cool... thanks.  I don't suppose there's any way to attach gprof to httpd
AFTER it's started up, is there?  I'd really love to see those numbers.
I'm trying to figure out why there were so many calls to apr_file_read()
and no apparent calls to sendfile() or mmap().  I realize that libc
functions were not included in the list, but I'd think we'd have seen the
related apr/apr-util/httpd functions in the list and many fewer calls to
apr_file_read().

I'm really interested in taking a look at the full data.  Can you just
post it somewhere on the web and list the URL here?

Thanks,
Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com