apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/buckets apr_buckets_file.c
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:23:57 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Perhaps just having a different offset, like -1 to specify that you should
> always use the OS's file offset.

Hmm... that *only* works if you can guarantee that no other code (eg, some
filter) is going muck with the brigade.  IMO you're much better off
keeping track of the offset than counting on reading from the file
sequentially without backtracking and without skipping any.  Buckets
should work regardless of which buckets come before or after them in the
brigade.

> I agree whole-heartedly that we need to care about performance.  However,
> the need to be performance aware can NEVER interfere with making the code
> work correctly.

Exactly.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley